Professor Vahan Agopyan Graduated in Civil Engineering at the Escola Politécnica of the Universidade de São Paulo (POLI) (1974). He holds a Master’s degree in Urban Engineering and Civil Constructions also at POLI (1978) and a PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of London King’s College (1982).
Full professor at Materials and Components for Civil Construction at POLI and member of the Conselho Brasileiro de Construção Sustentável.
Since 2018 to 2022: rector of the Universidade de São Paulo.
Before his current post he held the following positions:
- Dean of the post-graduation, Chief executive officer and advisor of the Instituto de Pesquisas Tecnológicas (IPT)
- Vice-president and advisor of the International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction
- Representative of the area at Capes and member of the Conselho Superior da Agência
- Coordnator of Ciência e Tecnologia da Secretaria do Desenvolvimento do Estado de São Paulo
- President of the Conselho Superior do Instituo de Pesquisas Energéticas e Nucleares (IPEN)
- Member oh the Conselho Superior da Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (Facesp).